In the 1800’s, mail was delivered in this area on horseback. Postage was 44 cents per letter. The mail was delivered once a week, with a regular route from Van Wert to Cedartown to Cave Spring and back. They used an old Indian trail coming from the direction of Cave Spring and Vann’s Valley, the north bank of Big Cedar Creek and on to Van Wert.
The Post Office was established in Rockmart under the name of Cleantown, Georgia with John Gent serving as postmaster. In October 1837, the name was changed to Van Wert, which was the county seat at the time. In 1872, it was changed to Rock Mart and Mr. W.C. Spence was the first postmaster. In the early 1900’s, routes were 24 and 25 miles long and the pay was $60.00 per month. The post office was in the slate building on Church Street, the old Cummings Department Store building.
The new post office (U.S. Federal Building) on Elm Street was dedicated in May, 1940. A mural depicting men at work was painted by Reuben Gambrell on one wall.
The present postmaster is Mr. Jim Shuck and he has nineteen employees.
The Heritage of Polk County 1851-2000
Submitted by Mrs. Joann P. Davidson, Rockmart Library